I’ve been trying to make healthy cakes lately so have used Benecol and wholemeal flour in this recipe and real cherries – substitute Benecol for butter if you want lighter sponge – great with custard and we like it stodgy! I use a higher flour to Benecol ratio as otherwise it is too heavy and use as much fruit as you can get in the tin as its a great way to get kids to eat it!
For The Caramel Sauce Topping
75g Soft Brown sugar
25g Dark Brown Molasses Sugar
Handful Fresh Cherries – the darker and sweeter the better
Fresh Pinapple rings or chunks – enough for your tin – maybe 1/3 pineapple
For The Cake
100g Wholemeal Self Raising Flour
100g Soft Brown Sugar
1 tsp baking powder
dash of vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C
2. Make the topping by mixing up the sugar and benecol in a bowl. Spread in your cake tin (I use a round 6″).
3. Chop the pineapple or keep in rounds (you get more fruit into your kids if you chop it)
4. de-stone the cherries and cut in half – put face down in the pineapple centres or liberally sprinkle
For the cake
5. Put all the cake ingredients in a bowl and beat or whisk.
6. Spoon on to the Pineapple/Cherry Top and smooth it out with a spoon
Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until nice and brown on the top and not wobbly! Take out, leave to stand then slide onto a plate.
We serve with custard but kids love ice-cream. They also love to pick the and cherries off when it goes cold